DVS doesn't show changes?

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Fri May 2 18:01:41 UTC 2003

Colin Putney wrote:

> On Friday, May 2, 2003, at 08:59  AM, Eric Scharff wrote:
>
>> Recently having upgraded to 3.5, I finally wanted to start playing with
>> DVS.  The fileIn and fileOut features seem to work as expected, but the
>> "changes" choice doesn't seem to do anything.
>

> [snip]
>
>> The change features (of both CVS and DVS) are really important to me.
>> Otherwise, I'm just going to continue to use change sets since browsing
>> changes is so important.
>

> No, Eric, you're not doing anything wrong. I've had the same problem.
> Here's two things that might help.
>
> First, it might be a good idea to switch to Monticello. Someday, it will
> be a full-fledged versioning system for Squeak. For now, it's a better DVS.

While Monticello should work fine, I want to make sure everyone is aware
it's in much earlier development.  I just fixed a sorting problem
yesterday, and the fileout format will likely continue to change for a
while.

When the fileout format changes, you essentially have to re-fileout all
your packages again, which makes everyone else who works on them update
Monticello, which means they have to re-fileout all the other packages
they work on, etc...  so I can't guarantee stability at the moment.

Still, if you'd like to use it, it's great to have more people testing
it.  And the model is pretty darn stable, it's just the fileout format
that isn't.

And yes, I too have seen the problem of the Changes button not working
but it does sometimes.  I haven't ever figured out what conditions
determine whether it works or not.

Julian