A pretty cool box (literally)...

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Sat May 3 16:46:36 UTC 2003

Mike Rueger put me onto this box:

	http://solarpc.com/

Especially interesting to me is the "Silent Station".  It is a 533 MHz motherboard in a black aluminum box with power supply and all connectors.  The thing only consumes 5 watts so it can run without a fan.  The power supply uses 12vdc, so you can use any old brick from the wall, and you can use any old battery for a UPS (this happens to matter for me).  It's also available with an IDE-to-CF adaptor, so you can boot off, and run from, a compact flash card -- NO moving parts.  Top top it off, it's under $200 - significantly under in volume.

These folks have been around, but I think there will be a number of sources soon for this kind of box, as the VIA EPIA processor is a big commercial item, fueled by the set op box and related markets.

I'm ordering a couple with Windows to try out for my weather station.  Mike is going to see how small he can make linux for it, and especially to see if we can get rid of X.

I should have something to report in a couple of weeks.

Would this be a good candidate for some SqueakNOS work?

	- Dan