Let's awake!

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun May 4 19:25:00 UTC 2003

Hi diego

I **really** understand your point :).

I'm waiting to see other reactions. Now have you thought of helping
harvesting.
This is what I'm trying to do with the changesets of markus for example
because they are kernel
oriented and one of my goal/need is to have a decent kernel.
So may be we should have a real core set of harvesters (I cannot now I
hope to help back in september).

I think that we are all expecting a lot of the new organization, so we
should give it a chance.
I imagine that the new model should work soon. Cleaning and
modularizing is not easy but I understand your frustration. The
cleaning projects should get more speed.

I should say that if the kernel cleaning project fails for reason that
is not the quality of the changes (we do our best for that) I will not
see a good reason to stay except having fun with a dirty blob. If the
KCP fails we will simply fork and the community would have lost but
this is a question of survival because we need squeak to help us in our
research not been a limit.
But right now this is the first time we can change things that made us
mad in the past (at least me) and this has a price.

Stef

PS: if we could get money for two persons full time improving Squeak
this would solve a lot of problems. I'm really wondering how we could
make this happens.

On Sunday, May 4, 2003, at 08:19 PM, <diegogomezdeck at consultar.com>
wrote:

> Hi guys...
>
> The following is an email I'm thinking to write for weeks.
>
> To say it shortly: Squeak is dieing in front of us...
>
> Since SqC leaves the "dictatorship" role we don't find the way to
> continue.  Despite the apparent organization and procedures we had
> created,
> simply in the last months we was not able to satisfy the expectations.
>
> To probe my point just take a look to the amount of fixes waiting for
> approval and the changes produced by MCP and KCP.
>
> Personally, I paused my work in MCP until something happens in our
> community.  I invest most of my free time in Squeak and I don't feel
> this
> sacrifice is producing results.
>
>> From my point of view We're trying to organize so much, and in the
>> reality
> we have pages and pages describing a process (the harvesting process)
> that
> don't work.  The bureaucracy is killing us.  The steps to get a fix
> approved are, in most of the cases, more difficult and time consumer
> than
> the fix itself.  We have lists of people with roles (guides,
> harvesters,
> etc) but in the reality only a few of them are active and working.
>
> We have big problems and I don't feel the community realize of it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Diego Gomez Deck
>
> PS: I'm talking for my own and my thoughts are not the MCP-team
> opinions.

Prof. Dr. Stephane DUCASSE  	[ | ]
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
  "if you knew today was your last day on earth, what would you
  do different? ...  especially if,  by doing something different,
  today might not be your last day on earth" Calvin&Hobbes

Open Source Smalltalks: http://www.squeak.org,
http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/smalltalk.html
Free books for Universities at
http://www.esug.org/sponsoring/promotionProgram.html