*ListMorphs

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon May 5 19:24:13 UTC 2003

Daniel,

> convince a Harvester it should be an ENHancement, not a SM entry.

Funny you should mention this (see my post at SqF list) as I was just
wondering how exactly one does this. There are a number of things where I
think they should absolutely be put into kernel Squeak. Here are a few:

* Network rewrite

http://map2.squeakfoundation.org/sm/package/030feb79-34a9-4822-9a6f-d7d2e83a
0cef
  Why: No changes to fundamental network semantics but an awful lot of fixes
in a variety of areas. The last five times I got bitten by network code in
Squeak I asked Mike and each time he told me "oh, I got this fixed long ago
- just get the network rewrite".

* TrueType text style

http://map2.squeakfoundation.org/sm/package/ab8088ce-4b01-4a15-bbff-82241d16
205e
  Why: If you have to ask this question you are not using Squeak for any
media activity. If you do, then you don't have to ask. This is not a package
- it's a basic requirement for anyone who does media stuff.

* Multilingualization

http://map2.squeakfoundation.org/sm/package/8b53bfb4-481c-4d3c-bf31-1b1018fc
3d33
  Why: Even if Yoshiki claims that it is still in flux my gut feeling is
that this absolutely needs users! I bet that we have couple of people on
this list who would want to use it (even if only for localizing eToys) and
the limited context in which to use it here would be quite beneficial for
further developments. I think we should have Yoshiki set up the "absolute
minimal version" that he thinks is reliable enough to be put into the hands
of real users and then give it a go.

There are a couple of other packages where I think it would be really good
if they were part of the kernel image but these three I feel mostly strongly
about.

Cheers,
  - Andreas