Squid VM

Brian T Rice water at tunes.org
Mon May 5 20:21:15 UTC 2003

On Mon, 5 May 2003, Niko Schwarz wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 4. Mai 2003 23:28 schrieb Michael van der Gulik:
>
> > - And  would it be possible to make a language-independant VM, perhaps
> > with modifications to respective compilers, that could compile and
> > interpret Squeak, ANSI Smalltalk or Squid. Redesigning a wheel is better
> > than reinventing it.
>
> yes, the idea is tempting. A while ago I asked myself how difficult it would
> be to create a Self environment, and run squeak images in it.
> I mean: the Self VM is said to be spectacularly fast, and Self has all the
> advantages that Anthony wanted, and most of all: the Squeak stuff would not
> be lost.

A GNU Smalltalk implementation and IDE was created in Self by Mario
Wolzcko several years ago to demonstrate this. The package still runs
fairly well (but is compatible with early-90's GST), and I've been
adapting it to Slate (that /other/ advanced language project related to
Squeak).

--
Brian T. Rice
LOGOS Research and Development