[BUG] DVS cross-platform file error

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Mon May 5 20:09:06 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Julian Fitzell wrote:

> Just yesterday, I tracked down a problem with line endings in Monticello
> which may be the same problem DVS has.  File In will accept any line
> endings because it uses a CrLfFileStream, but when you do a Load, it
> displays a file list.  The file list, unfortunately returns a
> StandardFileStream by default so you get LFs embedded in your method
> source.

Aha!  Nice catch.

Yes, that's basically the same problem DVS has.  I *think* if you always
use Load, the line endings are treated consistently.  The second you
fileIn a DVS file from the FileList (or SqueakMap, etc), you introduce
extra LFs, which can then wreak various flavors of havoc.

DVS is always going to have that problem because we can't control how the
code gets filed in (it's just chunk format, and there are lots of ways of
getting that into the image).  But since it has its own file format,
Monticello should be able to just dictate a line ending convention and
stick to it, now that you've found that Load bug, right?

Avi