What we want with Squeak?

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Tue May 6 13:13:01 UTC 2003

Gary Fisher wrote:

> Hi, Diego!
>
> Your assessment sounds about right and implies (at least to me) a
> subsequent question: is Squeak to remain the vanguard in the journey
> from 3 + 4 to *real* personal computing -- "Media (and much more)
> Squeak" -- or is it to be sidetracked at some intermediate point like
> all the other descendants of ST-72?  Simply put, is Squeak being built
> for tomorrow or for today?
>
> Gary Fisher

I think this dichotomy of the traditional squeaker vs. the media
squeaker is not valid at all...and neither is the question you pose.
Most of the "traditional" squeakers want Squeak to be a great media
environment as well...but, I think many have come to the conclusion that
you can't shoot the moon if your engines fail half way there.

The point is, Squeak does need lot's of attention in the blue plane if
it is to make progress in the pink (or did I get those colors backwards
again).  ;)

As for being "sidetracked"...I don't think that's possible...Squeak is
nothing without the people that are driving it, and only they can have
goals that can be sidetracked.  There are lot's of people making
progress with Squeak in lot's of directions, and that should continue.

- Stephen