What we want with Squeak?

Paul Chapman paul at igblan.free-online.co.uk
Tue May 6 18:25:15 UTC 2003

Ned,

> We're working toward having three official images available for
> download. The safest way we can think of to do this is to do it in an
> additive way: make sure we can make the smallest one work, and then
> define two different sets of packages to load into this small image
> to make the bigger ones.

This sounds like an excellent approach.

The app I'm working on in Squeak will be used by a small number of people, who fall roughly into three categories: (1) those who will enjoy exploring the full functionality of Squeak alongside my app; (2) those who won't care too much about the Squeak environment and its potential, although minimal, dangers; and (3) those who will be concerned about loading a large image which includes access to the net, access to files on their local platform, and compiling and running arbitrary pieces of code.

The current all-inclusive standard Squeak image may well raise concerns among people in this third group.  When I release an alpha version, I'll basically say to people, "If you want to run this, download and install Squeak for your machine, then follow these instructions to file in my app."  I'd *like* to be able to say, "If you like, download this *secure* version of Squeak, which limits net access and/or local file access," etc.

I don't expect such a thing to arrive overnight.  But in the long run, if the Squeak community wants to be able to give the thing wings by distributing apps built for vertical markets, I think security will have to be considered (and will have to be built into the VM).

Cheers, Paul