What we want with Squeak?

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Tue May 6 23:14:16 UTC 2003

On 07 May 2003 00:04:18 +0200 Cees de Groot <cg at cdegroot.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 14:04, Bob Arning wrote:
>> The short answer is no, not everybody shares the enthusiasm for that goal..
>>
>Ok, then I'm going to request the long answer ;-).
>
>Enthusiasm is not necessary, but it *is* the only feasible way to make
>sure Squeak works for everybody, not?

Well, first, does the "it" in "it *is* the only feasible way" refer to enthusiasm or to the (not quoted above) "politic of small-image with configurations"?

In any event, I'm not sure Squeak can work for everybody, depending on your interpretation of "work". Any particular change will probably make some people more happy and others less so. What sort of calculus one applies to sum up these pluses and minuses is, I think, entirely subjective. I'm one of those who sums it up for the present trends and arrives at a negative number. Maybe I'm alone in that regard, maybe not, but that's what prompted me to reply to Diego's inquiry.

Cheers,
Bob