Ways of new

Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Wed May 7 05:19:25 UTC 2003

  Anthony,

> >  The reason whether to use basicNew or new in the new method sounds
> >  like the theory of evolution. If it works in both ways at this
> >  moment, the natural selection process doesn't get rid of either way.
>
> I see. So, there might not be any reason of particular
> significance why an author may have chosen one over
> the other?

  One of the *reason*, which is merely a hypothetical explanation, why
we see many "super new initialize" would be that those Smalltalkers
steal code.  They really do.  The ones written early days must be
written in that way, and later people just copied the old examples.
Also, again, using methods whose name begins with 'basic' has some
dangerous smell.

# Not to mention the fact that most of them are so loosy that they
# can't care such detail.

  I'm now curious that why you want to know this *reason* so badly:-)

-- Yoshiki