What we want with Squeak?

Jim Benson jb at speed.net
Wed May 7 08:45:14 UTC 2003

Stephen,

> I'm having a hard time figuring out how any of these problems magically
> disappear in the absence of system that is well factored into packages.
> The ugly dependency graphs are all still there...you just can't see them
> and it's difficult to cope with them.

In the old days, the only dependency is that you have Squeak image version
x.x. That's the extent of the dependency graph.  As you start breaking the
image up, you have the interdependencies of the image pieces.

> I can't see how having the
> system properly factored into packages with dependencies clearly
> understood would do anything but help that situation.

Personal View Here:

If it's a zero cost effort that will succeed, great. My perception is that
it takes a *lot* of work and some bit of luck for that outcome. As in the
case of modules, *I* don't get any real benefit. I download Jumbo image or
whatever, done. Hopefully any media are stored in a Project so I can jetison
them after I play with them. Typically, I don't do anything like that
currently.

I don't get the benefit of the update stream while we go through the
refactoring process (I think the update stream is important so that changes
can be tested by a larger group of people). So for *me*, I don't gain
anything. That's all I'm saying.

Jim