Convincing a harvester (was on SqF list)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed May 7 12:19:37 UTC 2003

> > What I feel _really_ unhappy about is the complete absence
> > of any vision (and action) which goes beyound "hack it up in
> > small bits".
>
> Well, that *is* the strategy. One I'm all in favour of.

You are confirming my worst fears.

> So if you ask me "what is the implicit strategic vision behind what
> we're currently attempting to do", it is (ugly buzzword warning) to
> redefine Squeak as a platform (an operating system done
> right) which is distributed, by default, as a rich personal
> multimedia environment.

With not a single thought being put into the "rich personal multimedia
environment" part? And you think that this will work (yeah, maybe for a year
or two). You're going to end up as a competitor of any of the other
scripting languages, just not a good one.

> The end result for 3.7 should be that the default download image
> (kitchensink, in cdegrootspeak) from Squeak.org should look
> *exactly* as it looks now

Just my problem. It will look *exactly* the same for the next ten years if
there isn't any vision about where to go.

Ah, shoot. Why am I even writing this. The battle is lost anyways. There is
simply nothing I can do convince the guides that the media (and many other)
stuff is as important as any of the other activities. At least it is now
clear to me that the original vision of Squeak is really dead today. "Thank
you" for making this so utterly obvious.

Bye,
  - Andreas