Convincing a harvester (was on SqF list)

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Wed May 7 14:56:52 UTC 2003

Hi goran

I think that the Guides are ok and that stuff is moving in the right
direction. I imagine what it is to be at your place. (This is a bit the
same with ESUG :). Sometimes I have to play the bad cop but nobody pays
me for that and this is not fun to do.)

- We need to setup a process where groups of people can see their
code/changes more efficiently put in the stream. But this is coming.
- We need a place and process were projects are listed
	- such as good networking
	- multimedia

Other community has Call for Improvements or other stuff. So andreas
would simply describe
I need that and that and that because this is important. One page.
People could sign up.
Then when the stuff is at the right level, it could be added to the
full blown distribution.

- The guides would review and be pushing to get new exciting stuff in
Squeak (in scripts that load in the fullblown image).

I think that you are doing well and SM is ***important***. We are
passing from an oligarchy to democratic process and this is difficult.
Once the first age will be passed, groups will maintain their stuff.

I remember that when I arrived to Squeak I shout that Squeak was not
open-source and people shot at me. I just see that the community
openness is young and that we have to learn how to communicate, have
medium to express wishes (good network/multimedia support/...).

I saw so many good people looking at Squeak and saying nice but I
cannot contribute (my changes were lost....) that they turned to other
systems. And this is what we should avoid.

Stef

PS: May be we should use ESUG as a Squeak meeting point.

On Wednesday, May 7, 2003, at 04:31 PM, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se