fix-finder tool (was Re: Convincing a harvester (was on SqF

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed May 7 20:49:00 UTC 2003

On Wed, 7 May 2003 diegogomezdeck at consultar.com wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> I lost your proposal in the "avalanche" of messages :)
>
> Actually I don't know what is exactly Monticello... Where can I read about
> it?  Avi, are you there?

Yes, I'm here, just haven't had time to respond yet.

Quick answer: Monticello is the evolution of DVS.  It includes a (fairly
simple) declarative model of Smalltalk source code.  It can produce a
Revision object from a package in the image (using DVS naming
conventions).  It can store and load these revisions to disk (in a
CVS-friendly text format).  It can check a revision for unmet dependencies
before loading it (ie, the revision has loose methods for a non-existent
class).  It can compare two of revisions and produce a patch, which
can then be loaded (allowing clean updates of packages in an image, like
DVS).  It can merge two patches, with conflict detection (and resolution)
- if they have the same ancestor, this is like a CVS 3-way diff.

At one point it included a simple remote repository system (for
maintaining a bunch of revisions on a server, and updating to the most
recent one), but I dropped that for now and instead use CVS to manage the
serialized revisions.  When the client side is a little better developed,
I'll bring back a Squeak-based server.

I wouldn't say it's immediately useful for what Daniel's proposing - the
main problem is that it assumes all changes *can* be expressed
declaratively, and I have a feeling that KCP and MCP changesets anyway are
going to have some DoIts rather than just method and class modifications
(but maybe that's not true?).  However I am definitely willing to do what
I can to make it work, if we can figure out exactly what's needed.