Convincing a harvester (was on SqF list)

Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Wed May 7 22:35:00 UTC 2003

  Hello,

> > I would really love Squeak base to be multilingual, but I don't think
> > we're ready yet, even if it turns out the code is ready. OTOH, it only
> > been easily available to the world for a short time. Maybe it'll attract
> > users by or even before 3.7.
> >

> No, it won't: it even doesn't work anymore in 3.5 (it worked fine in 3.4).
> I think the main reason is that it adds to many methods that contructs
> the user-interface to make it multi-language. That's a nice example
> that there is a big difference between a patch and a module: patches
> are *extremely* fragile.

  I confess that I haven't tried it with 3.5 yet...  It is good to
know that it doesn't and I didn't quite expect it would, so that is
ok.  I guess I need to tweak the semi-automated process to extract the
m17n diff one more time.

> Actually, Esther Mietzsch just posted to the german squeakers list that
> she has nearly finished a complete german Squeak using Yoshiki's stuff,
> so this will get very important for us in the future.

  It wasn't too long time ago I've got the query on this and I'm glad
to hear it is coming along.  Is there (gonna be) any downloadable
stuff?

-- Yoshiki