One last try (was: RE: Convincing a harvester (was on SqF list))

Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Thu May 8 08:53:44 UTC 2003

  I just want to clarify things...

Quote from Andreas:
> Example: As I (and several others) think, the TTF stuff is about the best
> since the invention of sliced bread in Squeak. I want it to be part of the
> "out of the box" experience of what Squeak is. How can I make it so? I
> can't. There is no decision process in place, there is nothing I can do
> _except_ trying to convince the guides and therefore the guides _do_ make
> the decision about it. [Note: This is an example so don't respond to the TTF
> stuff exclusively; the same can be said about many other packages]

  Some people might have gotten an impression that the TTTextStyle is
something I have done... Well, it is kind of true but it is heavily
based on the TrueType handling routines existed way before.  (Which
happened to be done by Andreas.)

  No, I'm not writing this email to tease Andreas about calling his
own stuff "about the best invention...":-) I believe that he calls it
in this way because of the future potential.  The rendered result is
still rudiment, and it can be improved as Jim Gettys has shown several
times.  If someone(s) extends the work to the next level, possibly not
relying on external library, it is going to be actually Really Cool
and opens up the other possibilities to write serious applications
based on high-quality glyphs.

  So... any takers?

-- Yoshiki