Convincing a harvester (was on SqF list)

Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Thu May 8 14:27:37 UTC 2003

  Hello,

> > > I would really love Squeak base to be multilingual, but I don't think
> > > we're ready yet, even if it turns out the code is ready. OTOH, it only
> > > been easily available to the world for a short time. Maybe it'll attract
> > > users by or even before 3.7.
> > >

> > No, it won't[snip]
> > Actually, Esther Mietzsch just posted to the german squeakers list that
> > she has nearly finished a complete german Squeak using Yoshiki's stuff,
> > so this will get very important for us in the future.
> Ah, so it did get more users after all. I'm happy to hear that. Please
> encourage her to make her work very visible (maybe prepare an informal
> demo for ESUG?), and give a lot feedback about the design, and maybe
> that'll be the one more voice I at least wanted to hear, and we can have
> it in 3.6.

  Ah, don't forget that there are quite a few users in Japan.  Most of
them don't write up emails to Squeak-dev or I would say that most of
them even don't know the existense of such list because they are kids
or students:-)

  However, as you know, making this German version shouldn't involve
too much programming.  It can be achieved by editing a method which
contains the translation "dictionary."  (It has some 900 entrys in one
method...)  So, it is not an activity of adding 'script' to the m17n
system.

-- Yoshiki