One last try (was: RE: Convincing a harvester (was on SqF list))

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Thu May 8 15:15:43 UTC 2003

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 08:38:54AM +0100, Douglas Brebner wrote:
> On Wed, 7 May 2003 20:21:47 -0400
> "Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus" <schwa at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 11:19:53PM +0200, Andreas Raab wrote:
> > > That's why I asked for vision, that's why I
> > > want that people look further than the (necessary) cleanup and
> > > infrastructure work, encourage people to do cool things, encourage
> > > them to be a place for fun and joy.
> >
> > Do you have any concrete ideas about how the Guides can further these
> > aims better than, for example, you can through your work on Croquet?
>
> I think what Andreas (and I) would like is a statement from the Guides
> about what they want to do *after* the cleanup and infrastructure work
> is done.
>
> Suppose, right now, you had a Squeak which already cleaned up and
> modularised. What would be the Guides next step?

Well, I'm not sure that it is fair to ask them for a concrete "next
step".  But, as I just wrote in another email, I do think that it is
important to remember the original vision of Smalltalk/Squeak, even
if the modularization/cleaning effort currently takes up most of the
effort.

My question to Andreas was an honest one.  He's obviously thought
about this a lot, and I wonder if he has any definite ideas about how
the Guides can currently help us move towards an "exquisite personal
computing environment" beyond explicitly stating this as a goal.

Joshua