[UPDATES] 9 package removals for 3.6alpha

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Thu May 8 20:13:41 UTC 2003

Tim Rowledge wrote:

> Doug Way <dway at riskmetrics.com> wrote:
>
> > Okay folks, the package removal updates are now here, things may get
> > rocky for a little while... proceed with caution.
> This is probably the time to start on the path of providing the 'base'
> and 'full' image options we've discussed. With these package removal
> updates installed an image is clearly on the path towards 'baseness'.

Minor terminology comment:  I think the terms for the three image levels were
Minimal, Basic, and Full.  (Not "Base" for the middle one.)  I've used the
term "base image" in the past to refer to whatever the current image is that
follows the update stream, so that's a different thing.  Perhaps I should use
a different term for that... I don't know, "current image" or something.

> Perhaps each batch of removal updates should be accompained by a trailer
> that will (at least offer to) install the appropriate replacement
> packages?

Yeah, this is similar to the "Upgrade to 3.6alpha Full Image" package that I
suggested in my other post.  I asked for a volunteer to do this, but
realistically I should probably just put this together today and get it on
SqueakMap.  My future [UPDATES] emails can refer to this package as a way to
restore the image to Full.

Oh, I see you mentioned a trailer, as in a changeset in the update stream.
Hmm, I dunno if we want to bug people with a prompt on this every time we
remove something, but we could.  I'm not going to do that for now, though.

(I'd still be happy to let a volunteer maintain the "Upgrade" package on
SqueakMap, though.  Anyone who volunteers can get his or her name added to the
Volunteers page at http://swiki.squeakfoundation.org/squeakfoundation/88 .
You can't beat that! ;-) )

> Certainly I think we need to start having the two variants easily
> accessible on the ftp server with some suitable explanation to help
> people (especially newcomers) to decide which to fetch.

Definitely for the 3.6 final release.  For the alpha releases, it's not as
essential IMHO, but if Bruce O'Neel wants to put a Full alpha image on the ftp
site every once in a while, that would be fine.  But this is a bit of extra
work, so that's up to him if he wants to do it.

- Doug Way