Against package removal

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Thu May 8 20:33:54 UTC 2003

Anthony Hannan wrote:

>Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:
>

>>Anthony Hannan <ajh18 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>>

>>>[snip] But more importantly, you can no
>>>longer find all senders and implementors of a class/method.
>>>

>>So we need extended tools for this. We needed extended tools in the
>>first place to even have the concept of looking for senders/etc by means
>>other than grep.
>>

>Well, I want these tools before removals go into the update stream.  Can
>I get real updates while bypassing the removal updates?

I was assuming that the removal updates would be followed by an update
that informed you of the things that had been removed and gave you an
option to file it back in from squeakmap... if you file it in from
squeakmap after the removal update has come down, it isn't going to get
removed again.  Perhaps this would help users who don't want their
images to shrink right now?

Julian