Harvesting and deprecation

Brent Pinkney pinkney_b at aircom.co.za
Fri May 9 07:45:36 UTC 2003

OK,

I have been following the harvesting thread for a while now and have been called apon to revide my DateAndTime stuff. This removes a couple of yucky methods that have crept into Date and Time.

What is the preffered method of deprecating classes and methods ?

In the full image of yore it was relatively simple. In the SqueakMap era, how do I know I can cull a redundant or yucky method/class ?

The alternative for endless backward compatibility seems to be a cop out. A tight lean elegant implementation is important.

I propose calling ProtoObject>>#deprecated in the to be deprecated method. Two versions later this should cause and exception. Alternatively move the methods to the deprecated category, although this may not play nicely with DVS.

Ideas ?

Cheers

Brent