[Q] MCP vs. Removals - The Conflict

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Fri May 9 12:06:12 UTC 2003

[Vague limits of morphic]

two answers -
1. Theoretically, and IMO, and an important part of your job is to bring
us there, Morphic, as a framework, should have pretty clear limits.
There should be a set of classes that are all needed for a Morphic UI,
but don't depend on anything. And everything else is an extension.
Obviously applications (Alice Games) are not in. Even Menus, PLMs and
friends are probably extensions, in the sense that they don't are not
intrinsically needed by morphic (just by many applications).
My theory about how to trace and solve this kind of issue is that the
unclear borders are marked by cycles - when the framework references
applications that use it, that's pathological. So it should be useful to
find the cycles and cut them. That's what SpaghettiTracer does. If you
want to give it a shot, let me know and I'll explain more.

2. On another level (where do your patches go, when you're not changing
big structure yourself), you should keep tabs on removals and other
ongoing refactorings that have a Morphic aspect (even Celeste, to a
small extent), and when you affect something that went into the module,
as people have said, send the patches to the maintainers. IOW, try to
use the de facto package borders.

Daniel