Squeak as Linux and other threads (was: One last try)

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Fri May 9 13:28:29 UTC 2003

I agree - the dangerous forks are the one that split the community, and
make the potential for collaboration and sharing smaller.

To maximize the potential forms that can join the sharing, we need to
make the sharing itself mundane (simple technology like SM, without
uncommon requirements).

That's why I don't think proposals like Squid or what you describe,
Jecel, are the next solution to this problem. But they definitely are
interesting enough and have enough uses that I'd pursue them anyway, and
someday when distributed database functionality is mainstream Squeak, it
might provide a cleaner solution.

It's important that apt-get is based on sockets, and not on say AFS (a
not-too-common distributed file system).

Daniel