[IMPORTANT] Concrete proposals!

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Sun May 11 22:11:28 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 15:42, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> The mail should be in simple text (no HTML email etc)
> and *must* include these three headlines to be valid (but can optionally
> contain a few more of your liking):

I'd say the mail must be a oneliner containing the URI of some PROP
object browsable with the props evaluator app.

(keeping the tones to black and white for sake of argument)

Why are we afraid to eat our own dogfood and make do with sending plain
ascii mails with several mandatory lines, together with an out-of-band
definition of some process?

If you want to propose something, you post a Proposal object on some
webserver page (think five minutes, look at the Superswiki code, and you
can probably abuse any old Swiki for that), people can open their
Proposal browser, add *structured* comments, add votes, whatever, and
the object's own behavior reflects whatever we agree on what should
happen to Proposals.

Now, this just popped up re-reading Goran's mail for context so this
might not be the best thing to start something like this, but judging by
the success of having a package browser just where you need it (and some
other thinking(*)) I think we should, when tools/procedure/collaboration
issues arise, really look at what we have and try to distantiate us, if
only for the sake of being different ;-), from the hapless open source
crowd out there having to make do with plain ASCII documents instead of
Objects as the basis for their collaborative efforts.

(*) I'm sort of sometimes working on this Sagan thingie, which aims to
be a content management framework of sorts for the web. My pink plane
brain hemisphere says that I could build a f*cking great yet another
content management framework thanks to Squeak, Seaside and other
goodies; my blue plane brain hemisphere says the Web actually sucks as a
user interface for collaboration, so why not skip the Web UI for Sagan
and just hand out everyone a Squeak system? At least, *we* among
ourselves are all in the proud posession of a workable Squeak
installation (and for my part create a read-only web-browsable
representation of these objects), so why are we limiting ourselves?