[IMPORTANT] Concrete proposals!

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Mon May 12 15:53:35 UTC 2003

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 05:26:59PM +0100, goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> Hi Joshua!
>
> "Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus" <schwa at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> [SNIP]
> > > We agree on this. And yes, perhaps we have made it sound like
> > > enhancements simply can't go in - but that is not true. Have you read
> > > the plan for 3.6? Let me quote:

> > "when we have a reduced image" is the operative phrase here.
>
> And this was of course referring to number 1 which I left out - and that
> was the removals that we now have applied. Ok? We thought that it was
> best to apply the removals first and then get on with the rest - are you
> arguing that this was wrong?

No.  I took the quote out of context (I didn't read number 1).  I
understood the phrase similarly to how one might understand (please
excuse the UScentricity) "when we have won the War on Terror/Drugs".

I concede you the point.

> > > Here you see that we have *explicitly* stated this. Right?

> > > What do you mean with "change in attitude"? Reread the plan I quoted
> > > above and explain what you think is wrong.
> >
> > I have had the feeling that it is not worth it to fix various small
> > annoyances in the development environment UI because I didn't think
> > that they would be likely to be accepted into the update stream.
>
> Why not? I repeat:
>
> The point was that we need to give MCP/KCP attention because they are
> doing a very focused effort and both projects are at the "core" of
> things. Don't you agree?

Yes.

> > The 3.6 plan focuses on MCP/KCP, which might reasonably be considered
> > as part of the modularization effort.  Anthony's and Craig's changes
> > are "under the hood".  The remaining category, "substantial packages
> > on SqueakMap", doesn't give me much more hope that small UI
> > enhancements have a chance of getting into the update stream.
>
> And then you conveniently left out what it said therefter, I repeat
> *once more* then:
>
> <neonlights>
> Then of course we have the general harvesting going on. :-)
> </neonlights>
>
> And I would definitely say that "small UI enhancements" have a *great*
> chance of getting in - because they are *small*. That makes them much
> easier to harvest without disturbing the partitioning process.

Ok, I believe you.  Next time I feel an itch, I'll go ahead and scratch it.

> But please, we are trying to follow the plan and as you know we have
> just applied the removals. And btw, you can also help out with the
> harvesting.

I know, I really should.  I'm already a bit overcommitted, though.

Best,
Joshua