[IMPORTANT] Concrete proposals!

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Mon May 12 21:48:03 UTC 2003

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 11:07:22PM +0100, goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> Hi Joshua!
>
> "Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus" <schwa at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 03:36:24PM +0100, goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> > > Hi Andreas!

> > > ;-)

> > > Well, don't make everything so darn black and white! Of course we are
> > > talking about judgement calls here. But you must surely agree with the
> > > long term goal of partitioning the image into packages with well
> > > understood interdependencies? I surely hope.
> >
> > Definitely.  But let's take a less controversial example.  What if I made some
> > improvements to the facial animation package such as fixing bugs, writing
> > comments, and adding more examples.  This wouldn't work against modularization,
> > but I still get the feeling the getting it accepted would be an uphill battle.
>
> A *very simple answer*: NO. :-)

Yay!

> If you fix bugs (most likely to not introduce messy deps), write
> comments (does *not* introduce messy deps) and add examples (most likely
> to not introduce messy deps) then it would simply be a god damn dream to
> harvest!
>
> So why on earth do you think it would be an uphill battle to get it
> accepted?! Is it because FIXes etc don't seem to get into the stream?

No, FIXes seem to get in OK.

> This would be a natural conclusion. But it has very little if almost
> nothing to do with any "policy" - its just that the harvesting process
> is stalling!

No, I've had a couple of FIXes get in.  But if I were to change how the
EToy tiles work, I'd expect difficulty getting the change in.  Since you
assure me that this is not true, I believe you.

> We have been trying to get it running better and it is better now - but
> people are simply not harvesting enough (or fast enough). I am
> personally listed as a harvester but I have no time to put there! I am
> 100% busy writing lenghty emails trying to do what I call "community
> nursing" and trying to get SM1.1 into the water.

Ok, I'll shut up now.  And try to find time to do some harvesting.

> [SNIP]
> > > Well, I hope not. I just want people to realize that we are in a
> > > different situation now.
> > > There is no SqC anymore. Simple as that. As Guides we will of course try
> > > to revise the mission statement - I have already promised to work for
> > > that. But we can not "promise" to work in a certain direction just
> > > because SqC did that, everybody must understand that. We can only work
> > > in those directions that the community is showing real interest in
> > > going.
> >
> > Isn't it still showing interest in this direction?
> >
> > > And by that I mean not just posting on the list "Please go in
> > > this direction.".
> >
> > I never asked that.  It was more like "Please acknowledge that a
> > substantial number of Squeakers are going in this direction".  Even if
> > it is not the majority of Squeakers, it is still a significant
> > proportion; very few other open source projects have such a high
> > proportion.  Since it is one of the things that makes Squeak unique,
> > why not be explicit about it?
>
> And what direction are we talking about? And what other directions do we
> have out there in the community? Please don't turn this into some silly
> "war" over which direction should be acknowledged in the mission
> statement. We will give it our best shot (to revise the mission
> statement) - please let's drop it for some time to let us do that and
> then we will see how it looks. ;-)

Looking forward to it :-)

Best,
Joshua