more progress... compiler installation suggestions requested

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Wed May 14 01:30:05 UTC 2003

Craig Latta wrote:

>Hi--
>
>	Currently I'm at 388K bytes, with 122 classes and 10,773 objects.
>Twenty of the remaining classes are for compilation. Forty percent of
>total space is taken up by instances of CompiledMethod.

Very nice!

>	What do folks suggest as the best way of getting compilation support
>back into the system after it has been removed?

Image Segments perhaps?  The packages at the very core (ie, those that
are required by the compiler) should probably be stored in some object
based storage (rather than source code) right?  At a minimum, you would
have the base image without the compiler, and the compiler would be
stored as an image segment (or some other binary object storage
scheme).  Maybe you could use stdin for loading objects into the image
to minimize the I/O support required.

388K is a great accomplishment...can you release the work so far as an
alpha release so that people can start tinkering with it?

- Stephen