Squeakland updates

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Wed May 14 15:08:20 UTC 2003

Am Mittwoch, 14.05.03 um 16:42 Uhr schrieb Brent Vukmer:

> I looked in the /prefs/knownServers/squeakland file for my browser
> plugin, and it said that the Squeakland updates URL was
> "squeakland.org/updates/".

Correct.

> After I executed this:  " Utilities addUpdateUrls: {
> 'squeakland.org/updates/' } withLabel: 'Squeakland Updates' " and
> clicked on World Menu -> help... -> update code from server, I saw the
> label for the Squeakland server, but when I clicked on it, I got the
> message 'All code update servers seem to be unavailable.'
>
>   When I browsed to http://squeakland.org/updates , I got a 403
> message.

Directory listing is disabled for security reasons. You're not supposed
to browse there.

> What am I missing?

You are missing that this is a separate update stream, intended for the
Squeakland image. There are many update streams out there, serving
different purposes, updating different images. It does not make sense
to update the main Squeak image from the Squeakland stream.

If you try to understand how the update stream works (by looking in the
image, for example), you will learn that a list of all available
updates is in a file aptly named "updates.list". Indeed, that file is
on the Squeakland server, and you can download each individual
changeset by name if you are so inclined.

-- Bert