other language using squeak VM ?

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu May 15 11:54:58 UTC 2003

Hi!

Since noone has answered I thought I should give this a shot.

"Bru, Pierre" <Pierre.Bru at spotimage.fr> wrote:
> hi,
>
> many languages/ compilers/ intrepreters have been done using the JVM as
> virtual computer.
> is there any other language othet than Squeak that use the Squeak VM ?

Hmmm, depends on how you define "language" I guess. Since so many
aspects of Smalltalk/Squeak is malleable (changeable) you could argue
that several of the available "experiments" are new languages. In the
Smalltalk world things aren't as black and white as in for example the
Java world.

For example - you can easily write your own class Compiler and then
suddenly be able to use a new language inside Squeak. Don't have many
good examples to point at but there are some. For example I think Ian
did a Lisp implementation inside Squeak (or perhaps it was written *in*
Squeak, not sure).

But AFAIK there are no "entirely different beasts" running on top of the
VM. Even though it would be possible it is simply much easier to do such
experiments by simply evolving/changing Squeak. At least that is my
guess.

And currently we have SmaCC so building compilers are much easier. So
"adding" a new language in Squeak is not that hard to do. Especially
since Anthony has recreated the Squeak compiler using SmaCC so you would
have a lot of easily reusable stuff there.

> Pierre.

regards, Göran