Final 3.6 Plan

Benoit St-Jean bstjean at yahoo.com
Thu May 15 13:31:37 UTC 2003

--- Daniel Vainsencher <danielv at netvision.net.il>
wrote:
> In fact, the concept of what exactly Full should be
> could use some
> discussion.
>
> One thing to keep in mind is that Basic will get
> most of the Guide's
> attention, we'll probably push Full as *the* image a
> newcomer should
> download.
>
> And how basic should Basic be?
>
> Well, I think we should think about it as a template
> that includes
> everything that will be common to every
> developer/user image, and
> nothing else. So it will need a UI, but maybe not
> two. I think it should
> have zero applications, not even development stuff.
> Almost no media. We
> might not get there by 3.6, but that's what I think
> we should be aiming
> at. We could start removing dev stuff after 3.6 and
> SM1.1, because after
> those anyone can maintain the unofficial Development
> image (or
> something) which will be Basic+dev stuff
>
> These are just some thoughts to think about "I like
> this package, where
> should I propose it go?"

Basic should be close to ST-80 with Morphic instead of
MVC (well, not sure about this since some people will
want to run Squeak on PDAs) and minimal stuff to
develop (e.g. the usual change set browsers, Squeak
Map, etc).

No multimedia, no goodies, just plain Smalltalk close
to what ObjectWorks 4.0 looked like...

My 2 cents.

=====