PoolDictionary handling (was Re: [ANN] "Upgrade to 3.6 Full Image" package on SqueakMap)

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat May 17 14:38:37 UTC 2003

Hi andreas and other interested Pool guys

I do not have enough distance with the problem to really have a clear
answer.
What I know is that I would like:

	- you guys to discuss and that we find a solution ;) You know cleaning
the
	kernel is quite a big task, so we do not want to hold anybody that has
a good idea
	or experience to propose a ready to work solution.

	- I think that having an explicit representation for global, class,
and poolVariable
	in the chunk format would be excellent. A real declarative syntax.
	PoolDefiner name: B3DConstants

	B3DConstants class>>initialize
		"Initialize the pool"
		PoolVar1 := 123.
		PoolVar2 := #mumble.

	We could also see that in the change sorter and other tool for example
(a bit like rosetta or Ginsu)

	- Why don't you introduce a common superclass PoolDefiner because I
have the impression
	that you will need that to support all kind of stuff?

	- Steven I'm like andreas. Puzzled ;) could you explain us why value
is better.
	I completely miss it. Anthony?

	- There's still one problem by the way - making a change to a pool
actually
> needs a recompilation of all the classes importing this pool (e.g.,
> when you
> add/remove a class var or another pool). It might be worthwhile to
> make up a
> common superclass for these 'pools' which know how to handle this
> correctly.

	- I always hated this static construct. Everything in Smalltalk is
dynamic except
	this point. I think that the solution should address this point too.
	Any idea beside not using them :)?

Stef