[Q] 'Quit Squeak without saving?' dialog

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon May 19 17:32:41 UTC 2003

Hi,

[Sorry I missed this thread] Yes, the VM does it and right now there's no
way to change it. When you click on the windows close button the VM really
doesn't have a way to feed back this information to the Squeak level so it
must decide 'on its own' which is why it puts up the notifier. In addition,
this is often the only way to gracefully quit out of Squeak if it's locked
up for some reason.

I don't really know what to do here. Perhaps we might hand Squeak some extra
event which is recognized and 'acknowledged' so that we may have a sequence
like:

* User indicates to 'close Squeak'
* VM posts an event to Squeak telling it to close
  - Squeak acknowledges the receipt of the event by some primitive
invokation

The reason why I'd like to acknowledge the event is that if the system is
somehow locked up one could click *again* on this button - this time the VM
could notify the user that the last request to close wasn't received so that
we can either try again or 'just quit'.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
  - Andreas