Benchmarks (was Re: XScaled Squeak)

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Tue May 20 13:50:35 UTC 2003

On Mon, 19 May 2003, Dan Ingalls wrote:

> As one who hasn't had a chance to use all these machines, I would find
> it very useful if folks would include the actual tinyBenchmark results
> for reference.  They are SO easy to cite, even if they are an imperfect
> measure.

OK, just FYI: the Zaurus SL-5500 I had was doing 1.22M bytecodes/sec, 400K
sends/sec; the iPAQ 3100 1.0M bytecodes/sec, 350K sends/sec; the Jornada
720 1.1M bytecodes/sec, 380K sends/sec; Axim X5 at 400 MHz 1.5M
bytecodes/sec, 380K sends/sec; Axim X5 at 300 MHz 1.16M bytecodes/sec,
300K sends/sec.

I am thinking of making a little image that just runs a few benchmarks,
gets MHz/Proc/RAM/bus info and adds the results to a database.  It would
be pretty straight forward, I think I'll work on it today while at work.

Other than tinyBenchmarks and macroBenchmarks, what kind of benchmarks
would people recomend being a part of this package?  It'd be nice to test
morphic speed, general display speed, event processing, but not sure if
some of these haven't been conceived as of yet.

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
"one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws"  :: m. l. king jr.