XScaled Squeak

Jim.Gettys at hp.com Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Tue May 20 14:49:46 UTC 2003

> Sender: squeak-dev-bounces at lists.squeakfoundation.org
> From: Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
> Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 13:46:28 +0900
> To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list
> <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
> Subject: Re: XScaled Squeak
> -----
> > >

> > WinCE has little if any real security....  If it had any, it would be
> > more difficult for us to replace the bootloader that comes with WinCE
> > with the one that we use for Linux (we overwrite the boot sector in
> flash....
>
>   Well, I'm not big fan of WinCE either, but this sounds a bit unfair.
> Once it boots up, it does have the separated supervisor mode and
> indeed that prevents us from changing cache behavior from user
> program.  It is like saying unix is insecure because you can hit
> Ctrl-C during the boot sequence and get the root privilege:-)

No, it isn't unfair.  For example, we completely overwrite the boot
sector on the iPAQ as part of installing Linux (installing our bootloader
that runs both Linux and WinCE).  There is nothing magic about our
program, either....  A user mode program can easily take over the machine.

Trust us, Pocket PC is *really*, *really* insecure.  A significant
amount of the interest in Linux on these devices is caused by this
insecurity....
                                   - Jim

--
Jim Gettys