[VERY DEEP QUESTIONS] For me

Bovaird, Brian Brian.Bovaird at NOVELLUS.com
Wed May 21 16:31:28 UTC 2003

Along these lines....

Is there a method to create an .exe once I have my application completed so
that my customers can just run my executable and would not even know they
are running smalltalk (Of course I would let them know that in the
application notes :)  )?

Thanks,
Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Colin Putney [mailto:cputney at whistler.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 8:58 AM
To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list
Subject: Re: [VERY DEEP QUESTIONS] For me

On Wednesday, May 21, 2003, at 06:12  AM, Enrico Bertini wrote:

> 1)     Is Squeak actually mature for commercial
> applications/packages/systems?

Depends on what you want to do with it. I'm using it for web-based
applications and web-services, and quite happy with it.

> 3)     If not, what is the work to do towards this direction?
> Modules/Packages? Security? Distribution? Cryptographic Bytecodes?
> Dynamic Translation? Clean Up? Indipendent OS? All? Other? Or What?

For my needs, modularization of the image is most important. After
that, I'd like to see improvements to the development environment,
particularly in revision control and code management. General cleanup
is always welcome.

> 4)     If a company want to begin to develop heavy commercial
> applications in Squeak, therefore investing money and resources, what
> is the future that awaits them? Should they develop the lacking
> modules/parts from themselves? Should they build a new development
> environment based on Squeak core technologies? Should they wait that
> the Squeak becomes more mature? Or what?

As Ned said, it would be wise not to rely on the efforts of the Squeak
community. Plan to develop anything that's missing yourself. I don't
think it's necessary to build a new development evironment, though.
Squeak is quite good in that regard already.

As for maturity, I think the VM and base classes are quite mature.
Other libraries may be less so, depending on what you're interested in.

> 7)     Ultimately, is there a future of Squeak in the market?

Yes, I believe so.

Hope this helps,

Colin

Colin Putney