[VERY DEEP QUESTIONS] For me

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Wed May 21 17:45:37 UTC 2003

> 1)     Is Squeak actually mature for commercial
> applications/packages/systems?

I know people here running a small companie selling web services based
on Squeak.
So this is working. Now it depends on what is your market.

For the rest I agree with the email of Ned. And Squeak has a really
powerful community,
so I think that you could get excellent consultant for business in
Squeak. If you are about
thinking to build a package system, let us know because I know Joseph
Pelrine a top world guy
  in package system that could be interested (but joseph is not on the
list still told me last week that
he would like to revive Ginsu for rosetta related reason)

> 2)     If not, when it will be so?
>
> 3)     If not, what is the work to do towards this direction?
> Modules/Packages? Security? Distribution? Cryptographic Bytecodes?
> Dynamic Translation? Clean Up? Indipendent OS? All? Other? Or What?
>
> 4)     If a company want to begin to develop heavy commercial
> applications in Squeak, therefore investing money and resources, what
> is the future that awaits them?

The community is active and composed of experts in nearly all the
domains so you can really minimize your risk
by using them.

> Should they develop the lacking modules/parts from themselves?

I do not see the lack of a module system as a problem to develop
application. This is convenient but not required.
You just need more explicit rules and constraints.

> Should they build a new development environment based on Squeak core
> technologies? Should they wait that the Squeak becomes more mature? Or
> what?
>
> 5)     Is there in the Squeak Community any orientation towards
> market? Or not?
>
> 6)     What the Squeak Community can do (in terms of support) for a
> company that wants to adopt Squeak as development platform for his
> applications/systems?

A lot.