[VERY DEEP QUESTIONS] For me

tblanchard at mac.com tblanchard at mac.com
Wed May 21 22:25:03 UTC 2003

On Wednesday, May 21, 2003, at 07:12  AM, Enrico Bertini wrote:

> 1)     Is Squeak actually mature for commercial
> applications/packages/systems?

Depends on application domain.  I think its terribly close in a number
of areas.  Although I think a lot of stuff needs polishing.

> 2)     If not, when it will be so?

That depends on how much money you have. :-)

> 3)     If not, what is the work to do towards this direction?
> Modules/Packages? Security? Distribution? Cryptographic Bytecodes?
> Dynamic Translation? Clean Up? Indipendent OS? All? Other? Or What?

What do you want your application to do?

> 4)     If a company want to begin to develop heavy commercial
> applications in Squeak, therefore investing money and resources, what
> is the future that awaits them?

Expect to be buried under a pile of resumes of top developers looking
to work for you (I'll be among them).

> Should they develop the lacking modules/parts from themselves? Should
> they build a new development environment based on Squeak core
> technologies? Should they wait that the Squeak becomes more mature? Or
> what?

How much money did you say you had?  If Squeak has right now all the
pieces you need to do your app and all the pieces need is a little
polishing and cleanup, then go for it with what there is.

> 5)     Is there in the Squeak Community any orientation towards
> market? Or not?

We all have different itches to scratch.  Lots of different things are
being built for Squeak.

> 6)     What the Squeak Community can do (in terms of support) for a
> company that wants to adopt Squeak as development platform for his
> applications/systems?

Provide you with a stream of motivated and gifted people who will love
what they do and work for very reasonable rates.

> 7)     Ultimately, is there a future of Squeak in the market?

I think so but its not quite turn-key yet.

-Todd Blanchard