[BUG] FileDirectory>>exists

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Thu May 22 16:33:35 UTC 2003

On Thursday 22 May 2003 08:48 am, Julian Fitzell wrote:
> Anthony Adachi wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Although, I'm not sure what a good name might be
> > Filename sounds, to my ears at least, too much like
> > simply a class without any further responsibilities
> > other than naming. It seems to me that an object which
> > might also be responsible for such things like moving
> > or copying speaks out for an name which sounds more
> > like an entity rather than a label or id.
>
> This is exactly my concern as well.

We have several different things being discussed:

* file names themselves and operations on them (like converting
between platforms). With no context, this doesn't work well
(different filesystems have different rules), so you also have:

* file/directory structure information. Tied to a particular
filesystem, this can answer structure queries, ask about name
bindings (like providing stat() information), and gives operations
relating to existence testing, creation, deletion, renaming/moving,
etc. These can be files, or directories that can be iterated.

* files themselves. These are what's stored in a filesystem. They
don't necessarily have unique names. Operations on these would
including opening a stream, copying (kind of a meta-operation), etc.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com