Squeak as Linux and other threads

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Thu May 22 17:24:22 UTC 2003

goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:

>That slave server mirrors the master SM server(s) and additionally
>contains your packages (which aren't visible outside your company). When
>you feel like publishing a package outside of your company you should
>easily be able to do that and your slave server should contact the SM
>master and "move" the package entry up to the master instead thus making
>it visible for the rest of us.

This is where I have an issue...the package should not "move" up to the
master, but rather the master should defer queries on that package to
the other server.  Also, I think you're getting to wrapped up in the
details of how to handle master/slave style replication.  Instead, why
not focus on getting a distributed and *non-replicated* model working
first.  You can worry about replication (for redundancy and reduced
bandwidth) later.

- Stephen