the monopoly of classes

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Thu May 22 20:58:56 UTC 2003

On Thu, 22 May 2003, Chris Burkert wrote:

> I agree, but wasn't it possible to create classes outside of the
> hierarchy with no super class or am I wrong? I guess I remember
> something like that.

You may be able to create a class with nil as the super class.  Let's try
it!

<firing up a new squeak image>

I just tried to create a class with nil as the superclass, and it saved
fine- but when I looked at the class def, it had put ProtoObject in there.
There is probably a way to get around this, but what good is a brain dead
object? :) ProtoObject is pretty limited, and is probably close enough.
It supports some things like testing if it's nil, #doesNotUnderstand:, and
a few other things.

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
"the profit system follows the path of least resistance and following the path
    of least resistance is what makes a river crooked."   ::  u. utah phillips