is squeak really object oriented ?

jan ziak ziakjan at host.sk
Thu May 22 23:36:23 UTC 2003

On Thu, 22 May 2003 14:41:44 -0700, Tim Rowledge wrote
> Sean Charles <bibbers at onetel.net.uk> wrote:
>
> > A challenge for you Jan: describe to us something that can't be named and
> > then read what you just typed...

you know i cannot do that, so why are you asking me to do it. the way we
communicate right now is textual, so i cannot describe it to you. but that is
the point: you and i both know that there is something which cannot be
expressed by text (e.g. pictures) - so i have proved that there exists
something which cannot be named by writing it in textual form.

let's make some extensions:
- by replacing the word "textual" in the above paragraph by "pictorial", we
can for example say that there are imaginery objects (like feelings) which
cannot be expressed by depicting them (although artists try to paint feelings
sometimes) (note: read for example bergson's "time and free will: an essay on
the immediate data of consciousness" which somewhat deals with communication
of personal feelings).
- we can replace the word "textual" by other words also,
like "tangible", "audible", etc.

have i won the challenge ? send me the price in case i did.

> And another challenge for Jan; stop sending umpteen copies of each
> message. Seems like you've uncovered an object that does indeed know
> how to copy itself!

i stopped. it was a mistake which i realized later.