the monopoly of classes

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri May 23 07:23:15 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-23 at 00:42, Andreas Raab wrote:
> BTW, I am very seriously considering doing exactly that - get rid of the
> "visibility" of class object in favour of a global context. That this could
> be implemented by setting the superclass pointer of a "root class" to the
> environment object in order to make the lookup of the "global functions"
> more efficient is a completely different issue.

One issue I see with this approach is how do you make objects 'not
understand' these global functions? At the moment, that's quite easily
and naturally done by subclassing nil or ProtoObject, and you'd need
some sort of explicit method to say that a certain class wants to have
its instances live outside this "global functions pool". Or have some
other way to do all the neat things that are currently implemented by
overriding #doesNotUnderstand:...