is squeak really object oriented ?

jan ziak ziakjan at host.sk
Fri May 23 11:00:25 UTC 2003

On Fri, 23 May 2003 12:05:43 +0200 (MEST), Christian Hofer wrote
> Hi Jan,
>
> > the point: you and i both know that there is something which cannot be
> > expressed by text (e.g. pictures) - so i have proved that there exists
> > something which cannot be named by writing it in textual form.
>
> if you just read the first chapters of Hegel, Phaenomenologie des Geistes...
> (I don't know the English title.)
> Or read: G. H. Mead, Mind, Self, and Society
> Or: Ch. S. Peirce, J. Piaget, J. F. Searle, C. Levi-Strauss etc.
>
> The questions you ask have been answered a long time ago by philosophers.
> You are victim of positivist thinking: there is no such thing as a physical
> reality of objects. Objects are the abstractions we make to get a
> grasp of physical reality. The medium of making abstractions is
> language - this is why we can make abstractions while animals don't.

no i am not victim of positivist thinking (my opinion). objects ARE the
abstractions we make to get a grasp of physical reality - i agree with this
sentence and believe in it. so perhaps, the misunderstanding is that you
thought i do not think like that - i think. i consider the statements in the
above paragraph (and paragraphs below) to be correct.

but thank you for explicitly mentioning the view you have just written about.