is squeak really object oriented ?

diegogomezdeck at consultar.com diegogomezdeck at consultar.com
Fri May 23 13:42:51 UTC 2003

Hi...

> Hi Diego.
>
> I agree and I do not ;-)

Much better! :)

> For certain things an image will be a better representation than
> text...

Sure.  Anyway I was not talking about images as the only option.

> but it is still a representation...

I Agree.

> and for me sometimes is
> difficult to say when a form of representation is better than other.

I was really carefully and I avoided to say "ever-better".

The same objects can be represented in completly diferent ways based on the
context.

> Example: how an OrderedCollection should be represented?

To represent these type of abstractions we have to stuck on iconic
representations.

> If you see
> what's inside it, then you're breaking encapsulaption...

Encapsulaption... What a topic!

The visibility is contrained by the observer and not by the observed.

> so, how do you imagine it?

I was not saying "let's use images as the only representations", but let me
try:

- What about a transparent geometric 2d figure that permit us to see inside
only if we're near? (The same can be used in a 3D environment)
- What about a cabinet? Or a bag?

> Let's suppouse that we pick as representation a black box
> on the screen... is that more representative than the text
> myOrderedCollection?

May be, may be not. Depends on the observer.

> But I agree that the object car will be nicer represented as a little
> car on the screen...

That's great! We agree a lot :)

> but about the amount of information in the
> representation...

It's not a problem. You know, the computer power is duplicate by a factor
of 2 in every 18th month.

> I don't know... "car image" and "car text" should be
> close.

The most important is how many noise a representation add to the object.
In some contexts the text representation can play a good game, sometimes an
image is better, sometimes a sound...

> Since we all know how to speak, then textual representation do the
> job...

We know how to speak, but from speaking to writting in a limited grammar is
a complety diferent story.

> graphic representation is nicer and will "invite" more people to
> play with objects.
>
> Cheers
>
> Jorge

Cheers,