is squeak really object oriented ?

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Fri May 23 15:58:16 UTC 2003

Thanks for the great comment.

It's not that strange a question (and I give this reply without
looking at any of the others).

The etoys part of Squeak for children does just about everything with
tangible objects that automatically have graphical representations.

One of the original motivations for the models, views and controller
idea (that IMO never got well done) was to be able to automatically
produce a default graphical interface for any object (and Steve Putz
at PARC actually did a version of this but it didn't stick).  These
ideas live on in the "Naked Objects" book by Richard Pawson (worth
reading BTW).

Randy Smith and the SELF folks did the next round of this at Sun
(using the first version of Morphic by John Maloney and RS). There
were many great ideas in this way of looking at UI.

Dan Ingalls' and Scott Wallace's FABRIK (in the 80s at Apple) was a
direct manipulation of objects system in Smalltalk. Ned Konz'
Connectors stuff today is very motivating along these lines, and
could be make into such a system. Morphic wrappers by our friends in
South America is another way to think about completely tangible
objects in Squeak.

Your list of numbers and any other objects that you want to insert
directly into source code was a feature of my thesis language of the
60s (FLEX), but it never quite got into Smalltalk, I'm not sure why
-- it's the obvious way to deal with literals in code in a system
that has many different kinds of things. Something closer to this is
in the Etoys and we definitely plan to have the whole thing in the
next version.

Cheers,

Alan