copy yourself ?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri May 23 12:14:13 UTC 2003

"jan ziak" <ziakjan at host.sk> wrote:
> hi. i would like to ask whether some squeaker has ever seen an object which
> is capable of copying itself. for example, i have a glass in front of me -
> certainly an object - but i have never seen any glass copying itself in front
> of me when i say "copy yourself" to it. in contrary, i have only seen people
> or machines capable of copying a glass.

I think of objects as having "common sense", unlike physical "objects".
It's my favorite part about objects, that they can do basic things for
themselves.  (And through composition, "basic" things for high-level
objects are themslevs prewwy powerful).

A better word might have been "actor", but that was taken already.  :)
It's what Macromedia Director calls its objects, though.

Lex