[ANN] Update streams for SqueakMap packages

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat May 24 10:14:02 UTC 2003

Hi Tim,

> > Check out the implementors of #includeUnloadedCardManagers.
> No argument with the logic, just the documentation; I'll update the
> swiki page with your original email doc and perhaps you can update the
> package registration to point to
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3208
> for future reference.

Thanks, just did it.

> > > It also removes the original file! I'm not at all sure I
> > > like that.
> >
> > No, it renames it to the actual name of the update (e.g.,
> > including the numeric prefix).
> So it does. Good idea but non-inutitive so I'll just fix it in pubs.

Well, it used to do so in the past so I left it in. Personally, I find it
helpful when posting multiple updates but I'm not tied to it. We may as well
remove it or make it a preference or somesuch.

> > There's a preference called #updatesSaveFile or so. Turn it on.
> Almost does what I'd like. That would build a tree of
> {default}/updates/{package}, which is not an awful idea but I propose
> that {downloaddir}/{package}/updates would be better since it
> would keep related files together. At the moment I don't see an
> obvious way for the download directory to be found from the SMCard
> kept by the update manager though.

How is the download directory determined in general? It always annoyed me
that SM dumps all the stuff it gets into the image directory and I'm sure
there's a way of getting from the card to SqueakMap itself (don't have the
code handy).

Cheers,
  - Andreas