Squid plan

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at hetnet.nl
Sun May 25 10:22:47 UTC 2003

[about Squid design]
> I am interested in $30 computers, so it does hurt me. And see
> http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/oops/compressed-caching/index.html
>
> I agree with most of the other stuff you wrote. My idea is not to fix
> policy, but to create mechanism and use it to build a default policy as
> an example.

Now, $30 are fun, but this is a point that probably needs to be raised.

Anthony: do you have any intention of designing Squid for embedded
platforms? What sort of environment do you see Squid running in? This
would have an effect on the design of Squid.

I'm personally trying to create something intended for "normal"
computers (i.e. with hard disks and network cards) which communicate
with each other using TCP/IP.

Jecel: are intepreted languages actually useful on embedded hardware. I
would think that they run far too slow. I know that forth is used a fair
amount, but I thought that embedded usually meant low-level C and
assembly programming.

Michael.