Next steps for MCP?

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Sun May 25 13:05:53 UTC 2003

Stephane Ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> For example when working on KCP, I noticed that Dictionary was
> referring to MorphGraphicalMenuDictionary.
> While it should be in the other directions. So I fixed it if I remember
> correctly.
Do you have a test for it? if it's not tested, it's not done ;-)

> It would be excellent to have a bunch of Spaghetti tracer scripts
> identifying different flaws in Squeak.
> We could then evaluate them to see if we progress. Alex plays with > SpagTr but I did not had the time to discuss
> with him.
I'm building tests of exactly that form (self assert: (mma
areInDisjointComponents: {Dictionary. MorphGraphicalMenuDictionary})).

If a test is red, you do
mma allShortestPathsFromPackage: (mma packageDefiningClass: Dictionary)
to: (mma packageDefiningClass: MorphGraphicalMenuDictionary) to get
hints on why.

BTW, this is using a slightly more updated version than is on SM, I can
update tommorrow if someone is interested.

Anyway, the tests I'm making will cover everything I can understand how
to cover in an intelligent manner in Squeak.

> I created a page on the KCP for all kinds of stuff we could fix such as
> the deepHorror from Ctuluh: Utilities.
> Please add ideas there too.
Yes. Algorithm for separating Morph from the Squeak Kernel
1. Run
mma _ MultiModuleAnalyzer onCategoriesWithPrefix: ''.
mma allShortestPathsFromPackage: (mma packageDefiningClass: Object) to:
(mma packageDefiningClass: Morph).
2. Refactor every bad link it shows.
3. repeat until fix point. ;-)

Obviously it'll take a long time for that test to pass, so we'll need
more specific ones to show progress, which is what I'm thinking about
now.

Daniel