Squid plan

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sun May 25 13:53:16 UTC 2003

On Sunday 25 May 2003 03:22 am, Michael van der Gulik wrote:
> Jecel: are intepreted languages actually useful on embedded
> hardware. I would think that they run far too slow. I know that
> forth is used a fair amount, but I thought that embedded usually
> meant low-level C and assembly programming.

There is a wide range of embedded hardware. I've worked on embedded
systems everywhere from 512 bytes of ROM to 5 workstation-class
computers on a network running a single factory machine.

Cell phones typically have several processors in them, as well as
quite a bit of RAM. Some of them are running Java internally.

There's a lot of low-end ARM chips out there that would be capable of
running interpreted languages.

There are 8-bit processors that manage to do 75M instructions/second
for well under $10 in single quantities. And there's still lots of
competition in the 16-bit and cheap 32-bit processors.

There are little boards like the TINI that run interpreted Java.

A number of products are aimed at the embedded market that combine an
8-bit processor with an interpreted language. For instance, the
Parallax Basic Stamps do between 2000 and 12000 interpreted BASIC
instructions per second despite the fact that they're reading their
programs from an external serial EEPROM. You can get one of these for
$50 in single quantities, and have your little embedded system
running the same day you get it.

There is the WISP project (http://www.wisp-lang.org) from Martin
McClure and Travis Griggs that is porting a version of Pocket
Smalltalk to the 16-bit world.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com